Top 10 Most Memorable Charles Barkley Quotes
BuySideSports is reader supported. When you click on product links we may earn a commission.
Charles Barkley is a retired NBA player, currently working as a TV analyst on Inside the NBA. Known as Chuck, Sir Charles, and The Round Mound of Rebound, he’s a true NBA legend. Here is a top-10 list of his most memorable quotes!
>>> Barkley fans – Don’t miss our masterpiece – Ultimate Charles Barkley – Shoes, Shirts, Memorabilia & More. <<<
Most Memorable Charles Barkley Quotes
1. “The meek may inherit the earth, but they won’t get the ball”
Charles took a spin on Matthew 5:5 verse “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth”. This quote is a part of the Barkley Nike campaign during the 90s. The quote is featured on a poster with his face and a passage about Nike Air Force basketball shoes.
The quote demonstrates his motivation and utter disrespect towards anyone not having the same aggressiveness on the court.
2. EJ: “Did you graduate from Auburn?”
Charles: “No, but I have a couple of people working for me who did.”
Before he was drafted by the Sixers in 1984, Charles played basketball for Auburn University. Since he was drafted so young and quickly made his way to the top, he never finished his degree. However, Charles makes light of his NCAA education with this controversial quote.
3. Charles Barkley: [saying a prayer] “I promise I’ll never swear again. I’ll never get another technical. I’ll never trash talk…”
Charles Barkley: “I won’t go out with Madonna again.” – Space Jam (1996)
Charles Barkley Space Jam’s appearance was legendary and part of the movie’s success. His basketball powers were taken away from him and he prays to get them back. He reflects on his bad guy persona but he throws in a cheeky reference to the rumors going around that he was dating Madonna! Check out the video of the full scene here!
4. “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.” – Charles Barkley, Roy S. Johnson (1993). “Outrageous!”
Despite everything that surrounded his playing days, Charles Barkley is turning into an advocate against racism and discrimination of all kinds. He is becoming what he least expected – a role model. The quote is from back in the day and it showcases just how he always said everything on his mind and he never sugar coated it.
5. Judge: “Your sanctions are community service and a fine, do you have any regrets?”
Charles: “Yeah I regret we weren’t on a higher floor!” – after being served his punishment for throwing a guy through a window on the first floor of a bar
This is probably one of his most controversial and funny quotes. After a fight, he threw a guy through a first-floor window. All he had to say is that he wished it was a higher floor.
6. “Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they’re still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn’t do much for them.”
As he was always aware of the political situation while at Auburn, he criticized the Democratic party in the USA and people who voted for them. Barkley was ahead of his time providing political commentary.
7. “These are my new shoes. They’re good shoes. They won’t make you rich like me, they won’t make you rebound like me, they definitely won’t make you handsome like me. They’ll only make you have shoes like me. That’s it.”
This quote is deeper than it may seem. It’s not just Charles Barkley bragging about how rich, handsome, and skilled he is. It’s about consumerism: how marketing can make you buy things just because Charles Barkley is associated with it.
8. Ernie: “Did they recognize you in South Dakota?”
Charles: “Yes, they did. It was easy because I was the only black person there. When they see me walking down the street they say ‘There he goes again’. And when I come back the next year they say ‘He’s back yawl!’”
Charles used humor to make fun of his visits to South Dakota. He said everyone recognized him just because he’s black.
9. “I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I’d work for the Klan.”
Charles Barkley played for three NBA teams during his career: Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, and Houston Rockets. His transfers to the Suns and the Rockets were not that well-received by his fans and he had this to say to them!
10. “I don’t hate anyone, at least not for more than 48 minutes, barring overtime.”
To conclude our list, here’s a quote depicting his aggressive play, dedication, and motivation. He mentions that he hates his opponents during the game but it’s a different story when the game is over. He was one of the most intense competitors in the NBA.
We hope you enjoyed this list of famous Charles Barkley quotes. If you have any suggestions get in touch with us at [email protected].
>>> If you’re a Barkley fan make sure you check out the Buy Side Sports Ultimate Guide to Charles Barkley shoes, jerseys, sports cards and memorabilia. It’s the biggest list of Barkley products ever created.